Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Identified That Hawk


Finally! I identified that hawk that hangs around my yard and calls and calls and calls. Just looking at the reddish breast and bars on the tail was not enough for me to know for sure. I identified it by sound. I went to the Cornell Ornithology website and played the sounds of all the hawks with red breasts and striped tails. Clearly, it's a red-shouldered hawk. According to the website, red-shouldered hawks hang around rivers and woods and are known to talk more than any other hawks. Evidently! This one is talking all the time.
PS Tonight I've been watching the bluebird pair feed the baby in the bluebird house outside the kitchen window. I'm glad my opening the house door didn't scare them away.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...