Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Namesake


Have you ever enjoyed a book so much you decide to watch the movie and find everything is just as you pictured it in your mind when you read the book? This happened to me when I saw the movie "The Namesake." This movie is based on a book by the same name by Jhumpa Lahiri. I think she is an excellent writer. The story is about Gogol, the son of Ashoke and Ashira - Bengali immigrants to Boston. The story takes place in Boston, Calcutta, and New York City. Gogol feels hampered by his name and he rejects his Bengali heritage and distances himself from his family. As Gogol figures things out, his parents go on living, takes his distance in stride. I wish I had a friend like Ashira. She was a very compelling character. This was a good book and a good movie.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...