Friday, October 7, 2011

Fire!

After work and swimming laps, I stopped by the library on my way home.  I wanted to pick up some books.  This month it's my turn to present books to read and we usually pass around a copy of the book.  I'm too cheap to buy them so I borrow them from the library.  As I drove up to the library, I saw smoke in the grass at the edge of the driveway.  A car was parked there and some teens were outside.  I parked my car and looked again and this time I could see flames.  The teens were trying to stomp the fire out but it looked like it was getting away from them.  I told the librarian that the grass on the other side of the driveway was on fire.  To my surprise, she said, "Again?"  She scurried to tell other people while I went to get my books.  As I left the library I could see the kids had kept the fire from spreading.  I could also see that the prairie area between the lanes was blackened and smouldering.  That must be where the fire had burned earlier.  The high winds and the dry air might have pushed some smouldering ashes across the lane and into dry leaves on the other side.  What a wild day.  This warm air and windy weather is getting a little spooky. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...