Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Last Of The Summer Wine

Lately I've been watching a British sit-com when I eat my supper after work.  The show, "Last of the Summer Wine," is shown on the public broadcasting channel at 6 and 6:30.  The show features three retired men who live in a small village in England.  They have no jobs, no wives, and no commitments.  The three guys hang out together all day. And they have the best time!  All dressed up, well, two are dressed up and Compo is dressed in scruffy clothes, they go out walking, to the cafe for tea or to the pub for beer.  They reminisce about the old days.  Cleggy is the meek and philosophical one.  Foggy is the pompous former military man.  Its a funny show.  The physical comedy is especially funny because these are pretty old men to be doing such crazy stunts like riding a donkey, being shot out of a cannon, and rolling down huge English hills inside barrels.  Compo is in love with his neighbor, Nora Batty.  She is portrayed as a stern woman with no sense of humor and wrinkly stockings.  And if a man grabs an unwilling woman around the neck to kiss her cheek, it's considered sexual assault here but in the show it happens every episode.  Nora just yells and shoves Compo off and she might hit him with her garden broom.  The scenery is amazing and the story lines are hilarious.  The sitcom was written by Roy Clark.  "The Last of the Summer Wine" is the longest running sitcom in television history, running from 1973 to 2010.  Roy Clark also wrote "Keeping Up Appearances" which is another funny show I've watched.  I really like this show.  I think these three guys have the ultimate retirement plan - hang out with your friends all day and do whatever you feel like doing plus getting into trouble every once in a while.  They're living my dream.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

Don and I will be doing that shortly, hanging out with friends and doing as we please for the next 5 months. We leave Monday the 24th. Getting pretty excited but not sure how I'm going to do in the *lonesome for kids* dept.
Anxiety has already been kicking in and I've had trouble sleeping all night long lately. Partly because too much is on my mind wondering if I have everything in order and all packed and not forgetting things. Uffda

Sibling #7 said...

Is this the same Roy Clark that plays the Banjo on Hee Haw?

Sue said...

Oh, Dianne, I hope you love it down there. Have a good time.

Sue said...

Sibling #7. I am gonna call you that from now on. No, it's a different Roy Clark you redneck!

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...