Monday, October 31, 2011

I Remember The Halloween of 1991

In 1991 I had a seven year old and a three year old, good ages for trick or treating.  Did I plan an old fashioned evening of costumes and door-to-door begging for candy?  Not exactly.  I signed us up for the school carnival where I volunteered to work at the fish pond while the others enjoyed themselves in the school gymnasium.  They had costumes on.  Offspring #1 really wanted to go trick or treating.  I promised him we would - just as soon as the carnival was over.  I said, "I promise you can go trick or treating tonight."  Thinking back, I'm not really sure why the school had a carnival on this holiday evening.  I don't think it was a fundraiser.  In any case, my job was in the fish pond.  I didn't get the fun job of interacting with the children and watching their excitement as they fished for prizes.  I was assigned the "behind the scene" job of attaching prizes to the clothes pins "hooks."  I stayed behind the fishing screen.  Since the screen was shorter than I was, I had to bend over the entire time so I wouldn't be seen.  I guess they thought the kids believed in magical fishing or something.  Seriously, did they think kids thought prizes automatically clipped themselves to the clothes pins?  The person in front would whisper clues to me so I would know what kind of prize to attach.  The clues were "preschool girl" or "older boy" and things like that.  From that brief description I could decide which piece of worthless trash to clip onto the string.  After about an hour of bending over and getting hit in the noggin with flying clothes pins, I was ready to call it quits. My head hurt and my thighs were screaming.  But I couldn't let these children down.  The fish pond was located in a corner of the gymnasium near a fire exit door.  The room got hot and stuffy as the evening wore on.  Someone behind me opened the fire door for a breath of air.  Holy crap!  It was snowing!  Not only was it snowing but it was almost knee high already!  My brain could not comprehend what my eyes were seeing.  My heart sank a little.  Did I make a promise I could not keep?  My offspring was going to be so MAD at me if he couldn't go trick or treating tonight.  Offspring #2 wouldn't care but Offspring #1 was going to care enough for half a dozen children.  I made my apologies to the volunteer person at the fish pond and high tailed it out of there.  I found my family and we headed outside.  The deep snow and slippery roads made for a long trip back to our neighborhood.  And Offspring #1 WAS NOT HAPPY!  He made his feelings clear.  So we stopped at the first house on our block that had a porch light illuminated.  I waited in the car while his father helped Offspring #1 through the thigh-high snow.  (The snow was thigh high on a full grown man, not a seven year old).  Lucky for us, they had candy.  They were totally surprised to see anyone out trick-or-treating in this weather but they had candy.  If I remember right that might have been the only house with a light on all the way home.  Offspring #1 was still mad.  And he had every right to be mad. One house does not trick-or-treating make.  My condolences and commenting that we had lots of candy that never got handed out did not help the situation.  Offspring #1 might still be mad.  I'm afraid to ask.

3 comments:

Cajo said...

Wait, he got to go trick or treating, but I didn't? So not fair. I want to have a cool "Halloween Blizzard of 91" story..." :)

Sue said...

We stayed in the car where it was warm and dry. I know it's not fair but there was a blizzard!

Anonymous said...

The great Halloween Blizzard of 1991. I remember it well. I called somebody, maybe Joan, to see what the kids were dressed up as. I heard about the Great Blizzard. Made me a little homesick. I don't remember the exact temp but it very comfortable in my shorts and t-shirt. Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii had NO SNOW. :)

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...