Saturday, October 15, 2011

Preparation

I am getting ready for another season of watching winter birds for Project Feederwatch. Recently one of my old bird feeders crashed and broke into pieces.  I had strung a cable from a crab apple tree to the top of the deck.  I suspended the feeder on the cable.  To deter the squirrels I had strung milk bottles, large juice containers and pie plates along the cable.  To be truthful, it looked a little trashy.  And the squirrels could still tightrope their way across.  The gray squirrels walked above the rope and the red squirrels clambered across below the rope.  I really didn't want another season of keeping a loaded super soaker by the back door.  Instead I sunk part of a 6 foot 2x2 into the ground.  Over that I put a 5 inch length of 4 inch diameter pvc pipe.  I hope the squirrel arms are not long enough to skinny their way up the thick pvc pipe.  I suspended a bird feeder and a suet holder to that. I've had it up almost 3 weeks and so far I haven't seen a single squirrel on it.  I haven't seen a single woodpecker yet either but they should find it soon.  The nuthatches, goldfinches and chickadees like it though.  Over time I have come to realize just how crafty the squirrels are.  I don't think this one will be squirrel proof forever but if I can keep them off it for six months, I'll be happy.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...