Saturday, September 8, 2012

Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

This historical fiction novel was written by Mary Ann Shaffer and Ann Barrows.  Shaffer did most of the writing and Barrows did the editing and rewrites.  The book is epistolary (told my a series of letters).  Juliet Ashton is the main character and she sets off to Guernsey to write a story about life during the 5 year German occupation of the British channel island during World War II.  Juliet's trip to Guernsey ends up changing the direction of her life.  Although the first chapter was difficult because so many characters were introduced, I'm glad I fought through that because I ended up really enjoying the story.  The Guernsey Literary society was made up to explain why some townsfolk were out after the German imposed evening curfew. To make the excuse valid they actually did start a book club. And a potato peel pie is something they actually ate when food was scarce and supplies ran low.  The crust of the pie was potato peels.  The pie filling was mashed potatoes sweetened with beets.  I heard this book will be made into a movie and Kate Winslet will portray Juliet.  I would go to see that.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...