Sunday, September 30, 2012

Poached

I've always liked poached eggs but only at restaurants.  I never had the courage to try and make them at home until today.  Now that I've done it, I found out it wasn't as hard as I thought.  the trick is to get the water hot but not boiling - just below boiling is perfect. That isn't easy to do.  I ended up having to add cold water to get it right. Add a splash of vinegar to the water, get the water circling with your spoon and drop that egg in gently just above the water line out of a bowl.  Then watch as the circulating water keeps the egg white close together and the egg cooks.  I cooked mine 4 minutes but I could have gone longer.  I think if my egg was at room temperature before I cooked it, four minutes would have been about right.  I stood over the stove the entire four minutes, fascinated.  The egg white turned white and the entire mass stayed close to the bottom of the kettle.  The heat caused water currents that made the egg white move up and down similar to the flap of a manta ray.  Some ideas are best not to think about too long or I might gross myself out of a meal.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...