Monday, September 3, 2012

Lake Time


The rock I would sit on as a kid.

Arrowhead blossoms

Arrowhead leaf.
Last week when I was up north, I had three chances to take the kayak out and explore Block Lake.  I paddled around the lake several times, soaring past rocks where I used to sit, fish, and meditate when I was a child.  I cut some cattails to take back to the farm.  I saw turtles, gulls, bald eagles, kingfishers, great blue herons, blue jays and tree swallows.  On Thursday night I parked myself halfway between the point and Petey's Bay.  On my left I watched the sun sink below the horizon.  On my right I saw the blue moon rising.  I waited for a good half hour to see the sun set.  The wind died down and the water became magically still.  I leaned back and put my feet out on top of the kayak, folding my hands behind my head.  I felt totally at ease, free of tension, and completely 100% happy.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...