Saturday, September 1, 2012

Don't Use Pipe Dope

I spent the week at my Dad's farm with my family.  We painted the house and the barn.  We arrived on Monday but didn't really get started until Tuesday.  One sibling and I were down in the cellar trying to figure out how to work the water softener.  For some reason, this house has two water softeners; one tan and one blue.  Both water softeners are connected.  The household water runs through both appliances.  It's confusing.  Which machine should we run?  Which machine takes the bag of salt?   We stood looking up at the pipes when my sibling says, "What kind of sign is this?  Rude!"  I look up to see a water filter suspended from the ceiling with a warning - DO NOT USE PIPE DOPE.  I smile as I explain that pipe dope is a product designed to seal plumbing connections.  The sign isn't rude.  Twenty four hours later I am back in the same vicinity washing the paint out of 5 paint brushes in the laundry sink.  I glance up and see that sign.  A giggle bubbles up in the area of my hips, rises through my torso, and before I know it I am laughing out loud.  Don't use pipe, dope!  I laugh out loud as I finish getting white latex paint out of the brushes and hang them up to dry.  I come up the stairs laughing.  Someone asks, "What is so funny?"  I snicker, "A sign!"  I can't talk I am laughing so hard.  Who would take a printed sign like this so seriously?  So personally?  Manufacturers don't insult their clients openly.  For the next ten minutes I can't breathe properly.  My stomach hurts.  Tears are coming out of my eyes.  Don't use pipe dope.  OMG.  Hilarious.  It sure feels good to laugh hard.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...