Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Howard Left

Howard has left, flown the coop, moved on to be the rooster of a new flock of chickens.  A sibling took him last night and moved him to his new home for me.  He was wanted as a stud.  Can you imagine?  A stud.  Well, he was a fine looking chicken.  This photo was taken several months ago.  He is much larger and finer looking now.  His comb was bright red and his feathers were shiny and full.  How my sibling finds people looking for rooster studs is beyond me.  She has connections.  Howard was just coming into his rooster hood at 4 months of age.  I know this because as I relaxed on the couch on Monday evening I saw him attack his reflection in the patio door.  He seemed quite shocked to run into the glass.  He hasn't started crowing yet.  I am sure Meredith and the girls will miss him.  I think it is better that he is gone.  He ate chicken feed but won't be able to give any eggs.  And the coop was getting quite crowded with 7 large chickens cuddling up together at night.  The coop is designed to hold only 5 or 6 poultry.  Oh, Howard, we hardly knew ye.  Cock a doodle gone.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...