Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Switch Key

I had a meeting in Anoka today and our new car at work was available.  I signed out a key from the key cabinet and I looked at it a little confused.  This key didn't look like the other car and van and bus keys.  It almost looked like a hybrid car key.  I thought maybe it was one of those keys that you don't actually stick into the ignition but just have somewhere in the passenger area.  But I was pretty sure this Ford Focus wasn't a hybrid so I asked.  "Oh," said a helpful staff person, "Do you want me to show you how to use the key?"  Trying not to feel insulted about being offered a lesson on how to use a key, I smile and say, "Sure."  She presses the round metal knob on the upper corner of the key and PRESTO!  A switch key flies out of the key fob.  It's like a switchblade but a key.  A switch key!  I am fascinated.  Grabbing my coat and my papers, I walk down the hallway popping my key in and out, in and out.  "Check it out!" I swagger, "I got a switch key!" People look at me quizzically (it happens quite often).  I hold up the key fob and press the button.  I falter and fumble.  It takes 3 tries to get the key to pop out when I'm trying to show off.  Serves me right.  The world is changing so quickly.  Even car keys are confusing to me. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...