Thursday, October 15, 2015

Beets

I don't like beets.  I get beets as part of my csa allottment every week for the past seven weeks and I give them away.  They thank me and I thank them for taking them off my hands. One week I kept the beets thinking I would try to make red velvet cake without the food coloring.  Those beets are in the freezer.  This weekend, talking to a person who loves beets, I got the idea to make pickled beets.  I kept one beet, roasted it in the oven for almost an hour, peeled it, sliced it, and soaked it in apple cider vinegar overnight.  I ate it at lunch today.  I can't say I loved it but I did manage to eat the entire beet.  I guess beets are like cucumbers.  I don't like cucumbers either but I can tolerate pickles.  I think it's odd that vinegar improves the taste of some things because alone, vinegar is nasty.  Finally, I found a way to eat beets.  Maybe next year I won't have to give so many away.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...