Tuesday, October 20, 2015

David and Goliath

I actually bought and paid for this book at full retail price which is unheard of for me.  I am a loyal public library customer.  I was desperate when I bought David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants by Malcolm Gladwall.  I was at the SeaTac Airport facing three hours with nothing to do and nothing to read.  This book held me interest at 3700 feet very well.  I was fascinated by the premise that good can be bad and bad can be good.  Dyslexia, for example, who wants dyslexia?  One would not think a learning disability is a problem that would improve your life.  But because of dyslexia, you may be better at listening than other people and you may have more creative problem solving skills than the average person who did not have to struggle so hard to learn.  Dyslexia can give you a leg up on life if you use it right.  Another example he gives is getting into a prestigious college or university.  That would be a good thing, right?  But prestigious universities are not the best choice for everyone.  Surrounded by people who are as smart or smarter than you can lead to a lack of confidence and a lesser chance of success.   And then there was David who looked too small to beat a giant like Goliath.  Your size isn't as important as your aim when you are slinging a rock at someone.  This book made me wonder if Marjorie Caldwell, who grew up in the Glensheen Mansion, would have been a more successful, more law abiding person if she had grown up in the East End of Duluth.  We'll never know.  This book was entertaining and also somewhat mind bending.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...