Sunday, October 25, 2015

Same Tree?

Yesterday I went for a walk in a nature center.  Before this place was a nature center it was a small farm owned by my Grandfather.  I walked with my nephew who came here all the time when he was in a local school.  Part of his curriculum was to walk to the nature center every week.  "Let me show you this cool tree," he says, "Everybody in my class liked it."  We went to the tree that looked dead and big enough to take three people to stretch arms around the trunk.  He said it was hollow inside and that is why it is a cool tree.  I looked at the grooved bark and burls and gnarly branches.  Is this the picnic tree my Grandparent's talked about?  Things around here have changed so much but I think it could be the picnic tree.  Is this the tree where my mother's family gathered to eat outside?  Does this tree remember me?  Who and what has this tree been watching all these years standing here at the bottom of a hill next to a wetland?  If this tree could talk, what would it tell me?  I look up at the tree and feel suddenly insignificant and also spiritually renewed.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...