Friday, October 16, 2015

What A Way To Travel!

On my trips to see my grand daughter I take many modes of transportation.  I drive through Minneapolis to the airport, get on a plane, walk to the light rail, take the train, walk 5 blocks to the wharf (walking fast so I don't get run over by my own rolling suitcase), get on a ferry, walk to a street corner, get in a car and go to her home.  I do the opposite on the way home only this time the walk from the Seattle wharf to the light rail is a steep uphill climb.  I can walk 40 flights of stairs on the stair master in ten minutes but after one block up Marion Street in Seattle, I have to stop and wait to catch my breath even if the sign says "Walk."  Seattle has some very steep streets.  I walk by some people who appear to be homeless but not threatening.  Some of them ask me for money, some of them give me helpful directions, and some of them smile at me and say, "Welcome home!"  Do I look like a Washingtonian? There is something about the ferry though that makes the travel enjoyable and worthwhile.  The ferry ride is about 50 minutes.  A ride costs $8 to get to Bremerton but the ride back to Seattle is free.  On the ferry ride I can relax, be in the moment, and ground myself.  I don't have to take off my shoes and put all my liquids in a quart sized baggie.  On a ferry I can walk around or stretch out on a bench.  I can stay inside where it is warm or go outside and feel the wind and sun on my face.  I can spy on dolphins showing their backs on their paths through the sound or sea lions basking on buoys.  I can see pelagic cormorants and gulls and mergansers.  The ride has a gentle rocking to it because the waves don't get very large in the Puget Sound.  I see clouds in the distance and I know they're hiding mountain ranges and peaks.  Fir trees make the air smell good.  The ferry to Bainbridge Island leaves at the same time and as I watch it progress I fix the location of Bainbridge Island in my mind in a more permanent way than when I see it on a map.  I watch the other passengers on the ferry and I see school field trips, sailors, mothers with children, and commuters coming home or going to work.  On the ferry it takes no time to get on board and to disembark.  I know the ferry takes a tad longer but I prefer it. Riding the ferry reminds me of American history like crossing the Potomac or the Hudson River. I like having a ferry ride form book ends to my excursion because ferry travel is different, quaint, old, economical, scenic, relaxing, sensory, and short lived.  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...