Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Not Sure If I Have Jasmine In My Mind



  I was at the gym after work when I heard a song come on the radio.  Seals and Croft were singing Summertime.  Suddenly I was not at the gym on the elliptical with a heart rate of 135 and 156 calories expended so far.  I was transported 43 years back in time to 1972.  I am in a cherry apple red Volkswagon VW camper van with my friends Debbie, Sandy, Kathy and Renee.  We are traveling in Nevada.  We left Las Vegas and are driving back to Minnesota.  The sun has gone down and there are not many cars on the highway.  One of us has her jeans drying in the window.  That is how we dried our clothes on this trip.  We rolled the waistband of our jeans tightly in the window and let the legs fly in the air outside the van to dry.  A cassette is playing this song in the tape deck.  We are tired, hot, and sunburned from spending the day at the swimming pool.  The high that day was 112 degrees and we spent the day outside on deck chairs by the pool.  When we got too hot we would jump into the cool water of the pool.  The change in body temperature gave us a rush so strong it was almost like having a seizure.  We couldn't stand the water very long so after a few minutes we would go back to our deck chairs to warm up.  We are tired and content, rolling down the highway.  The five of us sing along to Seals and Croft.  As I listen to this song on the radio today I know every word.  Today I listen to the words and realize they don't make sense.  In 1972 it didn't matter to us what the words actually said.  The song was about feeling content and that was all we needed to know.  I am no longer in contact with those four fellow travelers.  If somehow we could get together, for sure I would make sure we heard this song.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...