Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Language Can Be Hard

Today I had a busy day.  One meeting was especially difficult.  Problems.  Everybody has them.  One guy had bugs in his computer.  No, not a virus.  Actual bugs.  Ants to be specific.  His laptop was wrapped tightly in plastic. Can ants be suffocated?  Wouldn't it be better to lure the ants out of the machine with a jelly sandwich maybe? I don't know the answer to than.  I'm no computer expert.  My field is employment.  We try not to use jargon but sometimes it slips out.  So today when I heard my coworker say, "He hasn't been listening to directions.  I had to punch him out twice in the past week."  I knew right away that didn't sound good.  Especially since the guy saying it obviously lifts weights regularly.  His forearms bulge like Popeye the Sailor Man.  "On the time clock!" I pipe in, "He punches him out on the time clock."  Wow, that was a close one.  People could have taken that wrong for sure.  Jargon.  Jargon can be dangerous. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...