Friday, April 29, 2016

Sora Heard!

Finally the sun shone today and I could take my usual walk down to Laddie Lake at lunch time.  I went with another person and we talked about the things she likes to talk about which is mostly food.  As we got off the streets and onto the trail we approached the lake.  Red winged blackbirds were singing. A robin was taking a bath.  All of a sudden I heard a whinny sound.  My mind, thoroughly trained on whinnys from all my practice on listening to marsh birds knew right away this was not a horse.  "Sora!" I yelled, "That is a sora calling." I have heard it call many times on my computer but never in the wild. Again I find myself in the situation where I am super excited about something and the person I am with looks at me impassively.  Her lack of interest did not in the least diminish my excitement.  Hearing the sora whinny and the smell of fresh cut grass made this walk very satisfying.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...