Monday, April 18, 2016

Two Turkeys Treed

Today on our walk around Laddie Lake we noticed that the blue jays were especially alarmist.  I don't know what the jays were upset about but upset they were. The blue jays were loud but the chorus frogs were totally silent today. Further up the path we met the man and woman who walk their sheltie dog.  We see them several times a week and have become friendly enough to point out nature wonders to each other such as a deer napping in the woods.  Today the couple pointed out a tree in the distance with two turkeys perched in the top of the 30 foot oak.  I've seen turkeys walking on the ground or gliding to the ground from my deck, but never perched in a tree top.  As I was getting a good view of the turkeys a blue jay came up and harassed them.  One turkey took off flying out of the tree.  The turkey flew in a 40 foot circle flapping it's big wings, stretching it's body to make it look slimmer, and maintaining it's height.  Turkeys can really fly and they are amazing birds to see in flight.  They're so massive and spectacular.  I don't know if they can fly very long but what I saw today was very special.  The dog owning couple and I were very excited.  I guess turkeys roost in trees at night so they have to be in shape to fly or else sleep on the ground and that could be dangerous.  I'm glad I knew it was a turkey before I saw it fly or I think I would be stumped on what kind of bird that was.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...