Thursday, May 5, 2016

Perfume In The Air


Last night the time I spent gardening was magnificent.  With the crab apple trees in full bloom the air was magically perfumed.  With Chickenson Caruso at my side, I worked putting weeds out of the garden.  She pecked at the bugs that came up and further raked the soil with her feet.  I heard a gray tree frog singing as a leopard frog went by.  I thought maybe I heard the snore of a leopard frog but I think that was a woodpecker drumming rhythmically to establish his territory and some wishful listening.  A barred owl called from down by the river.  Sand hill cranes were calling so they must not have laid their eggs yet.  Once they have a nest the cranes turn silent and stay silent until next spring when they seem to have a lot to say.  A robin sang, “Cheerio cheerio!” at me.  The cardinal flew by the back of the yard because it’s too shy to eat from the bird feeder while I am so close.  The chickadees and nuthatches don’t mind my presence though.  I have hummingbird solution hanging but I haven’t seen any hummingbirds yet.  The white breasted nuthatch said, “Nuh Uh,” in that negative way it has.  I see another frog hopping by the garden wall.  Is this a frog highway?  I ask, “Can you say keck-a-heck?” but the frog doesn’t answer.  It simply poses for a photo before hopping along.  I think it is a wood frog. The light is fading but I’ve only got a little more of this section to go. Chickenson Caruso thinks it’s time for bed but the door is shut on her coop.  She flies to the top of the coop but she must not feel safe there.  She leaves the coop and hops up the steps to roost on the deck railing.  Hello!  Who is this trip trapping up my new deck that has never had any chicken droppings on it yet?  I finish weeding that section of the garden. I throw the last of the long and stretchy crabgrass roots into a pile.  I go up the deck steps and approach the chicken.  She is too tired to move quickly but she doesn't like being picked up and shows me so by flapping her wings.  I talk to her and tell her the plan.  She settles down and allows me to put her safely into the coop.  I gather my tools listening for the sound of the house wrens.  I don't hear them so I guess they haven't migrated up yet.  Two morning doves coo as I close the door and go inside.



 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...