Tuesday, May 3, 2016

That Old Cape Magic

I read Richard Russo's book, That Old Cape Magic and loved every single word of it.  I might have read it before because some parts seemed a little familiar.  If I had read it before it has been nine or more years ago because I didn't write a review in this blog which has been going for 8 years and 10 months now.  I love Richard Russo.  The way he writes soothes me like a blanket when it's cold.  The main character is Jack and he fumbles and bumbles from the beginning when a friend of his daughter gets married to the next year when his own daughter gets married.  Some parts are so funny you want to imagine it in a movie.  Stunt doubles would be necessary. Jack's parents are terrible examples of parenting and Jack wants to do better.  Jack's parents liked to vacation on Cape Cod. So Jack wants to vacation on Cape Cod too. In his efforts to be level headed and responsible, he ends up spiraling downward in a self destructive pattern much like his parents did.  Everybody in the book is so understandable.  I guess that is why I liked it so much.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...