Friday, March 30, 2018

A Raccoon On The Deck

For some unknown reason I am awake an hour early.  I decide to get up and start my day.  I brush my teeth and wander out to the kitchen. I turn on the deck light to see what is going on outside because I never know if I will have snow or rain or hail or some other kind of precipitation on my deck. First I see the deck is icy and then I see the raccoon.  The raccoon is curled up calmly munching on the suet. The raccoon has nibbled the edges of the suet very carefully so now it is a round hockey puck hunk of kidney fat. Before it can turn and look up at me I unlock the deck door and in my mean mom voice say, "Get out of here." The raccoon scrambles to it's feet and leaves right quick.  I pick up the suet, put it back in the green cage of the suet holder and put both items in my freezer. As I type this the light goes on again. I look out the window and see two raccoons.  One is under the deck and one is by the basswood tree.  Both of them amble off to the south with their high backs swaying side to side. I don't care how upset those woodpeckers get. I am not putting out suet for a long, long time. Oh, there comes the security light on again.  Dang, those raccoons do not like the security light shining on them.  Good thing! I don't mind them in the yard but I don't want them very close to the house or garage or chicken coop.  Anywhere else is fine.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...