Sunday, March 4, 2018

Here I am questioning my decision to walk across all this ice. Way in the background is my car.

This is the bridge I have to cross to get to my car.  Why am I more frightened coming back than going over the first time? Probably because I didn't read the warning signs over Beaver Creek. No beavers were spotted but I did smell a skunk.

Trumpeter swans and geese at Whitewater River.
One Saturday morning the dreaded feeling of boredom appeared. I really do not like to be bored. A road trip was the solution. A twelve hour road trip consisting of 425 miles. One half hour of the road trip was spent parked at a Kwik Trip because I was talking on the phone to family members in Italy.  I went to three state parks which I have never visited before: Beaver Creek State Park, Whitewater State Park, and John Latsch State Park. I really shouldn't count John Latsch State Park though. I entered it on impulse and promptly got stuck in the melting snow 15 feet into the driveway. I got myself unstuck and backed my car out onto Highway 61 and that was a thrilling moment if there ever was one! I saw eagles both bald and golden.  I saw swans and geese and ducks and crows and horned larks. I saw redtailed hawks and I think I saw a broadwing hawk but I'm not 100% sure of that. I talked to a couple on their first motorcycle excursion at the rest stop in La Crescent and I saw a snowmobile go by in the ditch near La Crosse.  La Crazy! I really enjoyed spending the day driving around the driftless region - the only part of our state that wasn't smushed flat by the glaciers. I love the hills and the valleys.  All that snow melting so quickly made me a little nervous though because I never knew what was around the next corner of the road. Sometimes the road was dry and sunny; sometimes wet and icy, and a few times slushy with melting snow. This part of the state gets the most rain and I worry about flash floods. Saturday was warm and sunny though with temperatures starting out in the 30's, raising to 40's and popping into the 50's before going down again. I also went to the International Festival of Owls in Houston, Minnesota. That was a hoot. People of all ages flocked to the event to have their faces painted, to dissect owl pellets, to see owls, and to participate in a hooting contest.My day was a success.  I was not bored at all.

No comments:

Time Of The Lotus Bloom

Now is the season for the blooming of American lotus. The flowers near shore stand higher above the water line than the flowers in deeper wa...