Sunday, June 10, 2018

Jay Cook

This last weekend I went to Jay Cook with a group of people. Unlike bird watchers or wild flower lovers, these were herpers.  They weren't looking up in the sky or at the plants and trees. They were looking under rocks, in ponds, and under rotten logs.  They wanted to see frogs, turtles, salamanders, and turtles.  I enjoyed their company but I did find it disconcerting to be walking along a trail in the park and be startled by something off to the side of the path which turned out to be a man turning over a rotten log. My personal goal was not to scream.  I like frogs and salamanders and turtles and snakes. But when I see a snake I involuntarily utter screams.  And I would never pick up a snake. I'll pick up other reptiles but not a snake.  Not yet, anyway.That may change over time.  Anyway, I failed in my goal not to scream. We were walking together, off the trail, looking for reptiles. The group dispersed and all of us got lost.  I am comfortable being lost with a group.  People were calling each other on their cell phones and blowing whistles to no avail. The woods are thick up there in Carlton, Minnesota. I was with a group of about 12 and we were wandering through the brush. The alder was thick and I was careful not to fall down. I was the fourth person to pass a white cedar tree when something flew up at my face. I screamed. I mean, if something flies at your face, a scream does seem to be an appropriate response, does it not? Then I realized it was a grouse. Then I laughed nervously as the adrenaline continued to flood my body. My eye caught sight of a nest. There, at the base of the cedar tree, was a round nest with 12 cream colored eggs.  I called everyone over to see.  We all took photos and then walked away so the grouse could get back to nest in peace. Holy cow, that was an experience I will always remember. All in all I hiked a good 5 miles wearing rubber boots. No one remained lost over night.  I met many interesting people of all ages.  In the group were a passel of children. The children were taken out to wade in ponds with dip nets. They found frogs and tadpoles. They found larva for predacious water beetles. One kid found a leech and the adult praised her.  I witnessed multiple really excellent child/adult interactions.  While some of the group stood in the leech infested pond I stood on the path watching. One young girl got tired so she sat down. You will never guess what she found on the paved trail.  She found porcupine quills. Evidently a porcupine strolled down this path and shook off 40-50 quills.  I found some too. I enjoyed my time with the herpers. Maybe I will join them again one day.
The new bridge

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...