Friday, June 22, 2018

Noises at Night

On both Tuesday and Wednesday morning I was awakened by strange sounds coming in the window. I heard a grunt or a bark or a short moan. I heard it again and again and again.  Sometimes the noise seemed to come in the north window and sometimes it came in the east window. Sometimes the noise sounded close like right outside the window and sometimes it sounded like it was coming from the street. Whatever was making the noise was moving around but I did not hear the sound of it moving. So was it a bird?  Was it flying from place to place? To hear it once or twice isn't so bad but by the 15th time the sound is repeated the hair starts raising on the back of my neck. This isn't a cat. The chickens are quiet so it's not a fox. Each sound it makes is about 3 seconds long. Some of the groan/barks have more emphasis than others.  I suspect rabies. I lie in bed with my eyes wide open glad to know my doors are locked.  Eventually I hear it move farther and farther away and then the noise is gone. I text a neighbor asking if they heard anything. They didn't hear anything but they have heard a male deer snorting.  I too have heard a male deer snorting but I thought it was a sneeze.  I thought the deer had allergies. Last night I didn't hear the noise at all and I am glad because this is how I pictured it in my head.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...