Saturday, June 2, 2018

Old Mill

We got to Old Mill state park after a long day of hiking and traveling.  This campsite was right by the showers and bathrooms.  Frankly, after quite a few nights of using an outhouse, this bathhouse was lovely.  Running water and soap do not seem that important until you don't have them for a few days.  Each outhouse had a dispenser of cleaning fluid for our hands but nothing beats soap and water. We set up our tents.  I am getting really efficient in putting up my tent now. In the evening, after dinner, I walk to the nearby bridge to see the sights. I step up on the lower board so I can see over the top and look down at the water flowing by.  I stand there for a long time. Then I cross the road and look at the other side of the bridge. I don't see any fish but the water is pretty clear.  I am staring without really seeing when a beaver swims up the left side of the river. This is a chubby full grown beaver. The beaver stops, balances itself with the feet in the water, reaches up the bank, grabs a 24 inch willow tree. breaks it off, and eats the leaves off it.  The beaver uses both hands to hold the tree horizontal and move the stem from left to right.  I can actually hear it chewing.  I go and get my companion so she can see this too.  By the time we get back the beaver is on the other side of the bridge. My companion films the beaver as it eats little tree after tree after tree.  Sometimes the beaver appears to be looking me right in the eye while chomping loudly on the willow.  My companion goes back to the campsite but I stay because I am fascinated.  A woman walks by. I point out the beaver having a snack.  She looks for a minute and then moves on. I continue to watch. Next to the water there is a sandy slope. As the slope continues up a meter or so there is grass and more willow saplings.  The beaver climbs over the sand and into the grassy area to eat more willow. I am overhead looking down at the beaver and I can see the beaver's spinal cord continues all the way down the center of the tail.  The beaver turns sideways to get another sapling.  As the beaver extends it's left paw to reach for another tree gravity works against it. The beaver starts to slide sideways down the grassy slope.  To my astonishment the beaver looses all control, slides to the end of the grass, rolls sideways twice over the sand and flops clumsily into the water.  The beaver rights itself, shakes it's head, and swims a couple yards upstream.  I had to laugh out loud. I have seen beavers before.  I have heard them slap their tail when I get too close in a boat.  But I have never, ever, seen a beaver tumble down a hill before. Somehow seeing this awkward beaver made me feel better about myself and I went to my sleeping bag feeling happy and satisfied with my own physical abilities.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...