Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Rhubarb!!

I signed up for a third year of a CSA (consumer supported agriculture). I choose a new farmer each year. I was satisfied with both my previous farmers but I just wanted to see the differences between farmers. This time I pick up my food in Blaine, close to work, on my way home on Monday nights. Last years experience at the Nowthen Farmer Market was just too tempting for me. Now I just go to a house and pick up my box of food at the side of the house. On Monday I got kale, spinach, two  heads of lettuce, chives, strawberries and (be still my heart) rhubarb. I had to transplant my own rhubarb to a better spot so I could not harvest it this year.  I have had this rhubarb plant since 1982. I just keep transplanting it house to house.  Every year I make a very filling dessert called Yorkshire rhubarb.  I figure I have all  year to work off those extra calories. So I have been yearning for rhubarb. I almost bought some from a store but I thought I would wait until my CSA came. I almost wept in joy when I read the list of what I would be getting. On Monday I brought my CSA food home and promptly turned the rhubarb into Yorkshire rhubarb. It. Was. Delicious. Without rhubarb,my summer would be incomplete.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...