Sunday, June 24, 2018

Narwhale Sighting

I signed up to volunteer at the parade in Minneapolis today.  I love to wave at people so being a marshal in a parade sounded like a good idea. I was supposed to be there at 8 a.m.  I finally found the booth at 9 a.m. The parade started at 11 so I took a very nice van ride to the beginning of the parade. From there I had to walk 4 blocks to the corner of Third Street and Third Avenue.  So there I was on the corner of Third and Third.  Guess how long I had to wait until the parade actually did start?  Three hours. I sincerely think the concrete sidewalk on the corner of Third and Third is harder than any other concrete I sat upon. Eventually we did start moving.  I chose to situate myself between the women's rollerskating team and the women's rugby team.  I was surrounded by muscular woman.  I had a great time with them. I cheered. I clapped. I danced to the music. I waved. I made sure the 69 Camaro convertible car got to stay with the group as we proceeded down Hennepin Avenue toward Loring Park.  At one point I got concerned because a little boy ran out of the crowd toward the Camaro. The boy gave a sticker to the driver of the Camaro.  The driver looked at me and raised his eyes.  I looked at him and shrugged my shoulders. I was reminded of the first time I took Offspring #1 trick or treating.  I explained the tradition and put a couple pieces of candy in his plastic pumpkin as a demonstration.  We went to the first door. He rang the bell. They opened the door.  He said "Trick or treat!" The person at the door held out a bowl of candy. Offspring #1 took the candy out of his pumpkin and put it into the bowl. I guess I didn't explain it clearly enough to the little tyke. I had a terrific time at the Pride parade.  I was glad I brought a power bar along because my free lunch was three hours later than I expected. I would definitely sign up for this event again because the people at the parade were so friendly and joyful.  Plus I finally got to see a narwhale!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...