Monday, June 17, 2019

All Night Long The Argument Goes On

I heard a lot of bird calls last weekend in Wisconsin. The red-eyed vireo talked all day but that bird sounded like it was talking to itself. I heard several veerys calling. I heard a loon. I was most impressed by the sound of the Eastern Whippoorwill calling. The Whippoorwill talks when the sun goes down. Unlike the red-eyed vireo who seems to be talking to itself, the whippoorwill sounds like it is in a heated argument. The sound of the bird call is similar to the name of the bird. The bird says whip poor will. But the emphasis is on the last word; whip poor WILL! The crazy bird sounds as if someone were whispering in it's ear "Whip poor won't." So it has to yell back Whip Poor WILL! All night long the argument goes on. I normally don't like to listen to arguments but I do enjoy going to sleep to the sound of the Eastern Whippoorwill.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...