Sunday, June 6, 2021

Still Game

 Offspring #2 and I share a Netflix account since Christmas. We started off by watching The Bridgertons. I do not recommend you watch that series with an offspring. All the sex makes it awkward. We also watched some British bake off shows which they like more than I do. Right now I am totally enjoying a Scottish sit-com called "Still Game." This hilarious show is set in a slum in Glasgow. Two widowed pensioners, Vic and Jack, have been friends since they were wee lads. They live next door to each other in a run down high rise next to Isa, a very nosy elderly woman who is always in their business. Vic and Jack like to go to the local bar called the Clansman every night for a pint or maybe way more than a pint. Sometimes Jack and Vic get pished (drunk). Their shenanigans are so funny I laugh out loud. Season 8 is the best season yet. Now I am sad because I know season 9 in the last one and I will miss Jack and Vic and all their friends. I think the writing is excellent. Each episode has a theme. Another favorite character of mine in the show is Navid, the shopkeeper of Indian heritage and his wife, Meena. Meena doesn't speak in English so customers don't know when she says rude things about them. Only Navid knows the incredibly funny but extremely rude things she says. Wisely Navid doesn't interpret accurately when she talks. Navid is Muslim so he doesn't drink yet he manages to get into shenanigans just like the other old men and women in the town. Yes, the writing is misogynistic at times and I get insulted but I keep watching. Another favorite character for me is a younger lad by the name of Methadone Mick. He is a homeless addict with a heart of gold. He can't add numbers but he has a incredible memory for facts and great linguistic abilities. When he talks it sounds like someone is reading an encyclopedia while mentally altered. I only watch one or two episodes a night but this sit-com has affected me so much that when I read from a book the voice in my head has a Scottish accent.

Here is Victor on the left and Jack on the right.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...