Sunday, June 6, 2021

The Pioneers

 I finished a l o n g book called Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought The American Ideal West by David McCullough. I enjoyed reading the story from the perspective of five white men although I think the story could have been improved if the author chose more diverse people. How about a woman? How about a Native American? Women and Native Americans are mentioned but only as secondary figures. These people set out in 1788 to settle in what is now Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana and Illinois. They had 3 main principles and I admire those principles but not their exceptions. No slaves will be allowed. Free universal education will be available for everyone (except the Native Americans). Freedom of religion for everyone (except the Native Americans). They caught political flack for their position of slavery even from President Thomas Jefferson yet they persisted. Were they brave or fool hardy or both? I think it depends on your perspective. Some famous people moved into this territory like Johnny Appleseed and Harriet Beecher Stowe. Some of the book contains quotes from letters to or from the five white men. No doubt this author did his research. I wonder though if he should have included as many details as he did. Perhaps the subject matter was too big for only one book. I enjoyed the book but I doubt I will remember much because my mind was flooded with so many details.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...