Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Around The World In Eighty Days

This year I started watching the PBS drama series "Around The World In Eighty Days" starring David Tennant. I got caught up in the story of Phileaus Fogg trying to win a bet against his frenemy Bellamy. Fogg starts out with his valet, Passeportout on the jouney when they are joined by a journalist Abigail Fox. They travel by boat, train, stage coach, on foot and hot air balloon. The series just ended so I decided to read the Jules Verne Around The World In Eighty Days which was published in 1873. The drama series didn't stay true to the story in many ways except for the personality of Phileaus Fogg. He was a stoic, quiet, methodical fellow who kept his eye on the prize. Of course the outcome, whether or not he made the journey in 80 days, remained the same. The book was good and I wished I had read it first. The PBS drama was well done with great costumes and scenery and music. The series had some dramatic twists that are not in the book.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...