Thursday, March 17, 2022

The Sentence

 When I walked into my local library I noticed a shelf of books labelled "Best Sellars." I looked at the titles. In my head I said, "Score" when I found a new book by Louise Erdrich, one of my favorite authors. The Sentence takes place at the author's book store, Birchbark Books, in Minneapolis from Nov. 2, 2019 to Nov. 2, 2020. Nov. 2 is All Souls Day. The main character is Tookie, a native American woman who was incarcerated for doing a friend a favor. While in prison she survives by reading books ferociously. So it makes sense that she gets a job at a bookstore that specializes in Native American literature. A frequent customer at the book store is Flora. Flora claims to have native heritage but her story changes so often people don't believe her. Flora tries to win people over with gifts and charms. When Flora dies, her spirit haunts the bookshop. At first Tookie is the only person who notices her but as the months go by, other store workers are aware of her too. Also the city is transformed by the death of George Floyd. How Tookie and the other book store employees deal with all that is a story that I enjoyed reading.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...