Monday, February 25, 2008

Men Are Distracting Me Today

I stopped in Anoka on my way home today to pick up a gift for a friend. As I drove by the intersection of Main and Ferry Street I saw the statue of liberty waving at traffic as she does every day during the tax time of the year. She works for Liberty Tax. In cold weather she is very full figured because she must dress in layers or freeze to death. Her spiky crown and her gauzy dress have seen better days, tattered and discolored from standing on the road and waving to passersby. I usually wave as I go by, thankful I have the job I have instead of hers. I've waved at her for years. But today, I didn't wave. I was shocked. She had a mustache. The statue of liberty was a man! That was just wrong. I really had to concentrate on my driving as I rounded the corner because he/she was a distraction. My other manly distraction today was a half man. The lower half of a man. I had a man standing on the top rung of a 7 foot ladder in my small office today. All I could see of him was from the belt down. He stood on a ladder and drilled a 5 inch hole through the cement block wall above my ceiling. Yes, it was loud. His drill was very manly. He had a big round bit on it and an extension so that it projected forward about 2 feet. Tim the Tool Man Taylor would have loved this drill. As he balanced on top of the ladder, his legs were vibrating from the impact of the drill boring through the cement block wall. I sat and stared at his lower half for a few minutes. My office has a window to the hallway and I didn't think it would look professional if someone saw me staring at the half man. So I tried to focus on work. When that failed I just left my office and socialized. Bits of insulation filtered down around me but luckily no pieces of cement fell on my head. After the hole was drilled, he kept going back up there to fit the pipe through and feed it through the wall. What was the reason for this disruption? Our building has a food shelf on the south side. They have a walk-in cooler and freezer. The refrigeration unit for this cooler was moved outside the building to the north side. So to run the pipes for the refrigeration unit to the refrigerator and freezer, they had to go the long way and bore through 5 cement walls. Lucky for them not all the cement block walls went as high as this pipe was located. I trust there is a good reason they chose to put the refrigeration unit on the opposite side of the building.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...