Sunday, February 10, 2008

Silent Auctions


Yesterday I went to a spaghetti dinner/fundraiser. One of my girls from the troop is going to Europe with her Mom and younger sister on a Girl Scout sponsored trip. They'll be staying at a Girl Scout chalet in Switzerland and traveling to Germany and France. So I went to the fundraiser to eat spaghetti and to help out. They had a book sale, craft sale, a game sale and a silent auction. I enjoyed the dinner. I had fun playing several games - one of which might be good fun after Thanksgiving, 2008. The silent auction ended at 7:15. Unfortunately the severely cold weather kept many people away. I bid on one item and got it. Everybody got things really cheap. There is always drama when I go to silent actions and this time the drama was provided by two pre-teen boys - not who I would have picked as silent auction professionals. But they were. They knew what they were doing. The both stood, pens in hand, as they watched the clock tick along to 7:15. The item was a 3 masted sailing ship replica - about 2 feet long. The boy who did not get the ship did not appear disappointed. He had a high price in mind and he knew he wouldn't go above it. He was a professional.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...