Friday, February 15, 2008

Wooly Rhinocerous and the Equator

I have heard of the wooly mammoth but before my Wednesday night Master Naturalist class, I had never heard of a wooly rhinocerous. But there were such animals right here in Minnesota. Both animals lost the wooliness (no need for fur coats near the equator) and became the regular elephant and rhinocerous. The other amazing thing I learned is that Minnesota used to be on the equator.

Somehow knowing Minnesota used to be on the equator is very comforting to me. I am extremely ready for spring. I am tired of the cold, the icy roads, the wearing of cuddle duds, and the shivering. Now I can think back to the time of Pangaea when all the continents were cozied up together. As the continents drifted apart, Minnesota got pulled left and up. We rotated to the left and migrated north to where we are now. A mere 225 million years ago, I would have been warm here.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...