Sunday, February 17, 2008

Urban Dining




Yesterday I had the wonderful pleasure of going out for meals with wonderful people at two restaurants that are new to me. Lunch was at Mai Village near University and Western in St. Paul. This Thai restaurant is unique because of the beautiful decor. When you walk in you pass across a hand carved wooden bridge over a pond filled with big koi fish. The chairs are handcarved and have satin seats. Even the menu is satin covered and look like a work of art. The place is designed to look like a village in Thailand. The tables are tall and dark wood. I almost felt like I was eating in an exhibit at the Museum of Art. The food was delicious. I had mock duck with pea pods and mushrooms. The plates are light green and the bowls match and have footed pedestals. For dinner I headed to the other Twin City and ate at the Palomino Club on Hennepin Avenue. This restaurant is also very elegant and beautifully decorated. Art deco was the theme here with rich gold, mauve and purple accents. The light fixtures were giant flat pink plates with 3 huge cone shaped cups on top shining light in green, pink and purple. I was full from lunch but I ordered a tomato basil pizza. One of their specialities are flavored martini drinks. The food was delicious. I had a great day with good food, good time with family and friends, interesting restaurants and stimulating conversation.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...