Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bakery Bread or Home Made Bread?


I feel sad today because I got the news that my Aunt Helen passed away. I remember her fondly. She was a very hardworking woman, often doing more work in half a day than most of us do all week. She was friendly, family-oriented, interesting, extremely tolerant, accepting, and personable. Besides working on a dairy farm and owning a resort, she had a large number of children. I remember going to her house for dinner one day. In those days, people ate four times a day; breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. We sat crowded at the table, elbow to elbow. The table was full of hot food and the farm house kitchen smelled delicious. Everyone was seated and eating but not her. She went around the table asking each of us, one by one, if we wanted bakery bread or home made bread. She came to me and I, being just a kid and had never been asked such a question before, wasn't quite sure what to say. I think I might have asked for bakery bread. I know now that I would never turn down homemade bread in favor of bakery bread. Rest in peace Aunt Helen. I am sure there is a special section in heaven for hard working women like you.

2 comments:

Kathleen Riley said...

sorry to hear about your loss. Helen sounded like a very interesting and wonderful individual.

Balou said...

Sorry for your loss. What wonderful memories of your Aunt.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...