Saturday, October 4, 2008

Flying


I hung my clothes on the line to dry this morning and took off. The sky was blue and the road was smooth. I followed the east side of the Mississippi north to St. Cloud, taking the back roads. A bald eagle soared and circled around downtown Elk River. I stopped to take a photo of a pumpkin field. This field was between Elk River and Monticello. I motored past field of soybeans (yum), corn, potatoes, strawberries, wheat and oats. I motored past cows and horses. At one point, between Monticello and Becker, I was flying along when a blue jay joined me. We flew, side by side, beak to nose, for a time. He flew over the shoulder of the road, just a few feet to my right. I could see his wings raise and lower. He surged ahead and crossed the road ahead of me diagonally. "Freaking awesome!" I shouted inside my helmet. I figured out a way where I could avoid Highway 10 entirely. I thought I was so smart when I biked down the frontage road in front of Becker Furniture thinking I could just cross Hwy. 10 and get onto County Road 8. Turns out we're not allowed to go straight across there. So I had to turn right on Hwy. 10, go a short distance, make a U-turn, and come back to get on County Road 8. That took me right into St. Cloud. I stopped to visit a friend. Everyone there was very friendly. They asked me several times if I had to go to the bathroom. I'm not sure why. I've never wet my pants there. That is the kind of friendly people they are - wanting to make sure you are comfortable and your bladder is empty. We sat and caught up on our lives for a while and then we went out for lunch in Waite Park. We went shopping at a huge craft store. Sometimes it's good when you ride a motorcycle because the vehicle itself limits splurging. I would have bought more if I drove a car. After shopping I headed back toward home. I got home in time to take the clothes off the line before they started getting damp again. I had a perfectly splendid day.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...