Friday, October 17, 2008

I Loved This Debate

When I choose who to vote for, I make my decisions based on the candidate's values and their positions on things like children, the environment, human rights, international relations, medical insurance, and the economy. I don't base my decision on their debating skills. I watched most of the presidential debates and the vice-presidential debates but I've had enough. I just couldn't stomach this last presidential debate. I don't think it's dignified to see the future president of our nation and his opponent stand there and say, "You are a liar!" and "No, you are a liar." I get so upset I want to throw my shoe at the television set. So at the last debate I chose to watch only the closing statements. But today I found a debate on you tube that I truly enjoyed. This debate made me laugh out loud. I make it a goal to laugh out loud at least once a day and today, this was one of my laugh out loud moments. If you google You Tube Penguin and Batman Debate you will find what I am talking about. The Penguin is played by Meredith Burgess - the best Penguin ever. Penguin and Batman stand at podiums and a moderator invites the Penguin to go first. The Penguin explains that when you see his photo on television or in the newspaper, he is always surrounded by upstanding, law-abiding citizens; many of them are police officers. Penguin says that on the other hand, when you see Batman in the media, he is surrounded by hardened criminals. The Penguin asks who is the better person? One who surrounds himself with law abiding citizens or one who hangs out with the criminal element? The camera zooms in on the moderator whose expressive face shows that he understands and he gives a suspicious, narrow eyed look at Batman. Batman's face is hidden by his mask yet you can see his frustration in the eyes and mouth. Now it is Batman's turn to speak and as he starts to explain himself, Penguin's friends put music on a record player and drown out his voice. This YouTube is hilarious. You gotta see it. I think we all need some light hearted fun to contrast with the nasty political ads and disheartening politics.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...