Saturday, October 11, 2008

Busy Saturday

This morning I participated in the Walk For Hope in Coon Rapids. I didn't walk the walk. I volunteered to hand out shirts to the same day registrants. We got rid of most of the shirts. My heart was warmed to see so many people out there walking, taking steps to end domestic violence. I believe there is hope of this issue were treated like a public health issue. My belief is that domestic violence is a public health issue. I was especially pleased to see teenage boys and girls involved - many from Coon Rapids High School were there. If kids that young feel so strongly, maybe they can make a real difference in redefining domestic violence as a problem for ALL of us. I did some chores after the walk and decided I had earned a little enjoyment so I left for a short ride on the motorcycle. I thought I head north on the scenic road between Champlin and Dayton. As long as I was there, I might as well go to Elk River. The road was so beautiful that I couldn't turn around yet. I headed further north along the river to Monticello. Since I was there I might as well head just a little bit further north to see if I could find County road 75. Someday I hoped to bike to St. Cloud on 75. I found it and thought I'd just travel a little ways to see if it went in the right direction. I promised to turn around as soon as I got to Hasty or Silver Creek. The country is so beautiful. The maple trees are tipped in orange, shrouded in yellow with just a hint of green on the lowest, closest-to-the-trunk-leaves outfitting the tree in the fruity, juicylicious garment. Imagine my surprise to see a water tower for the town of Clearwater on it. I had no intention of going this far! But as long as I was here, I'd head just a little bit further to find the property where I used to live as a college student back in 1976-77. As I looked for the property, I came to Opportunity Drive - now I was in St. Cloud! I went too far. I turned around and followed the signs to a Good Sam camp. Sure enough, this was the road I used to live on. The barn and mobile home are gone and the property has become an extension of what used to be a Campfire Camp
and is now the Warner Lake Nature Center. I used to live on Warner Lake. We used to go fishing in a rubber boat. We never caught a single fish but we sure had fun trying. We used to swim there too. I remember walking out was a horrible experience because of the muck. My feet would sink past the ankles into the muck so we would run and dive in to get rid of that terrible mucky feeling. Coming out was no fun either. I see now they have a beach there. Looking back, I see now how lucky I was to live in such a beautiful spot - if only for a little while.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...