Thursday, October 16, 2008

Yiddish Policeman's Union


My book club read the "Yiddish Policeman's Union" by Michael Chabon this month. Here is another book that I would never have picked up and read on my own accord. In fact, the first chapter was so uncomfortable I debated whether to finish it or not. The book is written in an old-fashioned, noir, private-eye, hokey style that absolutely jarred my ears. After the first hundred pages or so I got used to it. Then I wanted to finish it. The plot involves a "What If?" turn of history. What if the Jews were settled in Sitka, Alaska instead of Israel? How would that work out? The main character is a Jewish policeman who disgusted me in the beginning. He lived in a sleazy hotel. He drank too much. He was rude and crude. He even drank on duty. As the book progressed, he drank less and became a better man. By the end of the book I loved him. He has a couple life endangering scenes, all in the line of duty. They were comical. His ex-wife is in the story and she comes back into his life as his supervisor on the Sitka police force - a situation burdened with awkwardness. She is a character too. When she gets mad, she calls people by the endearment, "Sweetness." I understand the Coen Brothers plan to make this into a movie. I can picture Francis McDormand, a regular in Coen Brother movies, to play the part of the ex-wife/supervisor. What I really liked was the author's wordsmithing. He would compare physical characteristics to odd inanimate objects that surprised me and yet I understood exactly what he meant. He said things like his eyes were the color of an old egg carton. You might like the book too. I definitely plan on seeing this movie.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...