Sunday, July 26, 2009

New Favorite Road


My friend at work recommended a new road to take. He said it was beautiful because trees overhang both sides and form a canopy over the road. The road has curves, hills, and even an awesome tunnel. This road he was talking about starts just north of Hugo and comes out at Marine on the St. Croix. He said it was county road 4. So today I took off on the motorcycle determined to ride this road. He was right. This is one of my new favorite roads. When you first leave Highway 61, the road is like any other with wide shoulders and straight lines. The closer I got to the St. Croix valley, the more interesting the road became. The shoulders got narrow and eventually disappeared. The speed limit went down. The trees weren't cut down at the edges of the road so they could form a canopy above me. The speed limit through the tunnel is 10 mph. Just a couple miles more and I was in the town. I came to an intersection with a Lutheran church where people were setting up for a church picnic. The 50 cup coffee urn was on one table and people were setting out bowls and serving platters. I turned south to go through Stillwater and went north on Hwy. 35 to Osceola. I stopped for lunch and watched the canoes paddle with the current. I kept going north to St. Croix Falls. I headed east to Taylors Falls and south again to Marine on the St. Croix so I could take my new favorite road in the other direction toward home. I had a lovely ride. I have an odd tan - twin two inch strips on my forearms where the wind pushes back on my jacket sleeves beyond the length of my leather gloves.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...