Sunday, July 5, 2009

Prissy Orange Princesses


This morning I weeded the vegetable garden. I started with the potatoes. I like to weed potatoes because they're easy. I don't have to bend over. I just pull the dirt toward the plant forming a hill. In just a couple minutes I'm done cleaning up the potato part of the garden. Tomatoes and peppers are easy to hoe as well but not quite a fun as potatoes. Green beans, bok choy, lettuce, sunflowers, and pumpkins are pretty easy too. What I don't like is weeding the carrots. Carrots are like the princesses of the garden. Carrots force me to kneel before them. You just can't use the hoe around them like the other ordinary garden vegetables. Their lacy, lime-green dainty leaves hide in the weeds so you have to pull each weed by hand. Carrots stay petite for a long time and can easily be pulled out by accident. Their bodies are as slender as a thread and cannot tolerate being disturbed. Such prissy orange princesses! I spent more time on two rows of carrots than the rest of the garden put together.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...