Monday, January 10, 2011

Corn Is Keeping Me Warm

I know I've complained before on this blog about my cold office.  Today I got a new solution.  A friend of mine at work gave me a bag of corn.  Her Mom made her several hand-sewn bags of dried corn.  The fabric looks like wool to me.  She advised me to put it in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes.  I put it in the microwave for 2 minutes and set it on the floor.  I took off my shoes and wrapped my geriatric lap blanket around my legs and put my stockinged feet on the bag of hot corn.  Awwwww!  Toasty, blessed warmth.  The bag had a slight odor of corn but it wasn't too bad.  I stayed warm with my bag of corn for a full hour. My desk is in a "U" shape.  When I had to move to another side of the desk I just pinched my bag of corn with my feet and took it along with me.  If my feet are warm, the rest of me can stay warmer too.  On Sunday I ordered an electric throw on-line.  I didn't know I was going to get a bag of corn.  So soon I will have two ways to stay warm at work.  I wonder which one (electric throw or bag of corn) will use less electricity?  Will running the microwave on high for three minutes equal an hour of electric throw use?  I had to use something.  I can't be productive at work when I am shivering.  I already wear three long sleeved shirts.  If I wear any more, I won't be able to bend my arms to type.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I hope the corn doesn't pop while it's in the microwave! LOL Staci made those bags but I'm sure she used rice instead of corn. She made long bags that could wrap around a persons neck and that felt good too. Glad it's working and keeping you warm. I remember those cold offices!

Sue said...

I never thought of that. It's more like flat kernels of corn, not the rounded type you get in popcorn bags.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...