Saturday, January 29, 2011

Amazing!

I have returned from an amazing trip to the Galapagos Islands.  As you can see I really got into the giant tortoises.  I am a physically worse for the wear (sun poisoning, bumped and bruised) but I feel refreshed, rejuvenated, educated, inspired, appreciated, challenged, grateful and downright lucky.  I learned that over a million people visit the Hawaiian Islands every year and less than 100 thousand visit the Galapagos Islands.  I hiked, snorkeled,  biked, and kayaked.  The name of the travel agency was Active South America; not easy going South America.  They kept us busy from 7 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.  We had almost no down time for the 10 days we were there.  The twelve people on the trip came from various backgrounds and age groups.  Of them all, I think I was the one who had traveled the least.  We got to know each other very well.  Helping each other into wet suits on a rocking boat allowed us to get to know each other quickly.  Many trip members agreed that the group dynamic was the favorite part of the trip.  I know I will miss them all.  My favorite part was our guide, Pablo.  He was a biologist and environmental educator.  He had a passion for nature.  He knew every bird I pointed out.  He knew geology, taxonomy, fish, mammals, and environmental science.  If we stumped him with a question it was only a couple of times and he looked up the answer.  He had incredible patience and energy and people skills.  I will blog each day of the trip separately.  For today, I am still catching up my rest.  After 10 days of being on a tour, I am finding it hard to make decisions for myself.  I guess I got used to being told what to do.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

You are very fortunate to be able to explore places that are such an interest to you. I really enjoyed the pictures you shared. They were amazing! I sure hope you saved some time to get acclimated again before returning to work! :)

Sue said...

Back to work on Monday - looking forward to it. Thanks Dianne, you are so thoughtful.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...