Sunday, January 2, 2011

Soak-a-Squirrel, It's Like Whack-a-Mole

See the expression of joyful satisfaction on this kid's face as he (or is it a she?) holds the super soaker?  I had that exact same look on my face yesterday.  A squirrel had climbed onto the tightrope that holds my bird feeder. He had just gotten over the pie plate deterrent when I opened the door and cocked my super soaker.  He landed on the pop bottle that I threaded over the rope and spun around quickly three times before changing plans and heading back toward the deck.  Since he was coming away from the bird feeder I didn't soak him even though he was coming closer to me.  I held my fire, I mean water, and allowed him back on the deck.  He hid behind a big flower pot.  I aimed my super soaker at where the spot I thought he was and waited. I was a sniper; a super soaker sniper.  After a few seconds, he popped his little head around the corner of the flower pot to look at me and BLAMMO!  I squirted him in his little squirrel face.  At that moment I saw, out of the corner of my eye, another squirrel land on the deck railing to my left.  A good super soaker sniper is not troubled by tunnel vision in the heat of battle.  With the same stream of water, I wetted the squirrel to my left.  Two!  Two gray squirrels were dampened with the same shot.  I am a super super-soaker sniper.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...