Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Resolved to Pay Attention

I'm counting down to my trip to the Galapagos (six).  I'm packing and mentally rehearsing how things are going to happen.  And I had to chuckle when I thought about one of my plane trips last year. I was flying from Denver to Minneapolis.  Or maybe it was San Diego to Denver; I don't remember.  I do remember being seated next to a pilot.  He was fully dressed in his pilot uniform.  The flight attendant took extra care of him.  He went to sleep on the flight.  We shared the armrest on my right and he had the window seat.  I had a cold and wasn't at my best. It's no excuse for what I did though.  When I went to bring my seat to a forward position, I used the wrong button and brought HIS seat to a forward position.  Snap!  He went from asleep to sitting straight up with his eyes open and confused.  "Oh," I said, "Did I do that?"  He blinked a couple times, reclined his seat, and went back to sleep without saying a word.  I, however, felt terrible for waking a pilot and inexplicitly got a bad case of the giggles.  My shoulders were shaking.  My eyes were watering.  He looked so surprised when he woke up. I tried not to laugh but the more I tried to suppress it, the faster the giggles came rolling out.  I did not want him to know I was giggling over my mistake.  I thought he might feel the seat shaking.  "Quick," I thought to myself, "Think about your Grandma. She's dead.  Your other Grandma is dead too."  Thinking sad thoughts was not working so I stood up and went to the restroom.  In that tiny metal room, I composed myself and got rid of all the giggles.  On this trip, I will PAY ATTENTION to which buttons are mine. I think I asked for all window seats so it should be easier.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...