Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Change

Change.  It's unavoidable, right?  And the survivors are the ones who can adapt to change.  I've worked at the same place for 22 years.  I've had the same office for, I'm guessing, 15 years.  My office, although cold in temperature, is very nice.  I seriously could not ask for better coworkers and neighbors.  I have a great desk chair and comfortable office workspace.  I have lots of cabinets and file drawers.  I even have a window.  My window looks out into a hallway, not outside.  At first this isolation from the outside world was hard for me.  I would leave work at the end of the day and be totally surprised at the weather.  Now I am used to not seeing the outside.  I am also used to people looking at me while at work through the window.  At first I felt like an animal in a zoo but now I just wave and continue working.  Recently I was asked if I would mind moving my office to another location.  Since my job is mostly meetings and paperwork, this new office makes sense because I would be closer to the files and the conference rooms.  So I responded very calmly and professionally, "If you think it would be helpful for me to move my office, I am happy to move."  And then I added in an excited tone, "To an office WITH A WINDOW!"  I am not exactly sure if or when this office move will happen but if it does, my window has a southern exposure.  I already have plans to sprinkle bird food on my outdoor windowsill on my way in to work in the morning.  I'll be able to park and see my car from my office.  I've added a picture of my building with a red line showing the approximate location.  I stared at this picture for a long time before I figured out what was wrong with it. This is an old photo of our building and was taken before they added the fourth floor.  I think having a window is not going to help my work efficiency, at least not at first.  Like I said, I don't know for sure that this will happen. If I do move, this will be a big change for me.  I might not need a heated throw in my new office.  I probably will not get the same office visitors that I get now. I won't have the same office neighbors.  But a window - wouldn't that be awesome?

2 comments:

Cajo said...

You can have plants!

Sue said...

I could have plants at work. And they would live!

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...